Sunday, May 2, 2010

CSA Conference 2010 - Anyone Going?

As a cross-reference to Worn Through, who is planning on attending the Costume Society of America's National Symposium this year?

This is my first year as a member, and my first year presenting as well (I'm doing a research exhibition on Blue Jean Culture and Transformation in 20th Century Czech History). I know a lot of people who usually attend are not going this year, and to be honest, I'm not very surprised. The location is new for me but doesn't have the same kind of "vacation" attraction appeal that some larger cities do. The overall conference price - even at the discounted student rate - is also a bit of a reach for those suffering from the economic downturn.

I plan on tweeting during the conference, so be on the lookout for those updates. I'll be there from Wednesday, May 26th to Saturday, May 29th (my birthday!), presenting that Saturday morning. I'm excited to meet the other members and hopefully stir things up a bit. I've heard from many people that they are looking for ways to build up younger membership, and I've got a few ideas...

So, who is going? If you're not going, what has prevented you? I'm willing to address any issues or concerns - from both members and non - with the higher-ups of the CSA. They are no-doubt concerned about this year's low attendance and would welcome any feedback or ideas you have.

See you there!

3 comments:

  1. I'll be there! I attended my first CSA last year (Phoenix) after a 10-year absence and had a great time catching up with old friends and making new ones. The time can be an issue for me; it has conflicted with graduation many times. But as someone who is neither in a textiles department or a museum, CSA plays a big role in keeping my connected with the profession. And I'll be tweeting and presenting -- a professional development panel on using primary sources.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh great! I'm planning on attending that, it will be extremely useful!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not going this year, but have in years past and it is fantastic!

    I look forward to reading your live Tweeting though - what hashtag should I look for?

    ReplyDelete