Friday, January 22, 2010

Design ReVamp! and Design Blok Praha c.2008

After viewing my site from different computers, I realized my desktop publishing skills were quite rusty and that my blog looked really unprofessional, so I switched things up a bit. I wanted to put a photo of a dressform in the background, but I couldn't bear with the fact that nothing I'd find would be my own. So I searched through my photo collections, and found the background you see now. I think it works quite nicely, don't you? Things are more clearer to comprehend.

The photo is not photoshopped to look as such; yes, I enjoy photography but I don't have the proper equipment (sadly) and this was taken on a simple point-and-shoot. It's from a collection shown during Prague Fashion Week 2008, by a designer named Jaroslava, for whom I wasn't a huge fan of. I like the way the photo came out, there are a couple more like this as well. It's very Fashion, Culture and Identity-esque, which was what I was going for - simple silhouettes that capture the essence of fashion, which is truly undefinable.

On a separate note, fashion shows are of a particular interest of mine because they are breeding grounds for fashion culture field research. There is so much to be learned from attendees, designers, producers and stagehands. What kinds of people attend certain collections? How do they react to what is displayed before them? Do designers create their performance themes based on what best expresses the collection's image, or based on what they believe their viewers will enjoy?

I've included a few more of my favorite pictures from that event. All in all, Design Blok is a very interpretive event. I like the different ways in which the designers choose to display their collections. Many of them bridge the gap between performance and fashion very well.

Zuzana Sedmidubská created a beautiful white and green collection. I wish I could own her stuff but she wasn't selling at the designer's market that night.


333 Fashion Studio. They had a live beatboxer and covered the catwalk with astroturf.


Navarila created beautiful knits based on her time spent in the Middle East. She was also a personal friend of my classmate's host mother, who used to be a designer herself.


Modrá's collection was very unique. Every piece was sewn for versatility; dresses, like the one shown here, tied up together at the shoulders for a dramatic block effect, or could be tied into pants, etc.




Chi-Chi. The models were actually dancers, who performed lyrical dances on the catwalk to emphasize the flow of the clothing. This was my favorite show.

1 comment:

  1. Loving the new background! So much easier to read and enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete