Monday, February 1, 2010

Fashion Studies Skills 101


An advertisement for a women's rabbit skin coat and a green wool suit, available at Eaton's College Street.

My seconds semester of Grad school beings tomorrow. To help me stay focused this time around, I've made a list...

GOALS FOR THE SPRING:

1) Start assignments as soon as you are given them.
I'm no procrastinator. And usually, my projects and papers are finished well before they are due. This year I underestimated my time management abilities and I believe my papers suffered because of it. Knowing the academic standards of my professors also helps, and now I can prepare assignments ahead of time based on the amount of time it takes to put everything together.

2) PRIMARY SOURCES, PRIMARY SOURCES, PRIMARY SOURCES!
Much of anthropology is based discovering new challenges and theories within cultures, whereas history relies on the old to enhance what has already been published. AKA before last semester, I never had to actually use primary sources, let alone know where to find them. I'm a little more comfortable with locating resources, but I need to sharpen my sense of smell. I also need to develop a better sense of what constitutes a reliable primary source.

3) Go to more lectures.
This is something I'm sure many of my schoolmates hope to accomplish this semester. There are so many wonderful (free) lectures in the City that I need to start taking advantage of. My schedule is more open this semester and hopefully I'll be more energized than I was last semester (I only have to wake up at 6am for one day!)

4) Dress better.
I believe that going to a fashion-related school means identity development via clothing is essential. How are people supposed to take me seriously in this field when I look like a garbage dump? In such a visual culture, a signature style is key. Expect to see fewer jeans and better kept hair.

If you are in school, what are some of your goals this year? What have you learned to do this time around that you wish you had known before?

Even if you're not studying, there may be things you hope to accomplish within the realm of fashion studies. Mentioning them might be helpful to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment